A company can benefit in many ways from implementing pre employment drug testing Kansas City. Chief among these benefits are a safer workplace and a workplace that is trusted by consumers.
Pre employment drug screening Kansas City has become more popular and is reaching into more business sectors. Businesses realize that drug use and/or abuse either on or off the job can make the workplace dangerous. Companies that strive for a drug-free workplace earn the trust of their customers, which earns more of their business.
Almost all workplaces have a drug free policy for current and potential new employees. 90 percent of employers require drug testing of their employees on at least an annual basis to maintain the drug free workplace. The most common form of workplace drug testing is random urine testing. The majority of drug tests are done at a lab and the rest are done at the workplace.
The major reason workplace drug testing is crucial is to reduce the potential for drug-related deaths and injuries. It is important that employees using heavy or dangerous equipment be sober while working. Drugs of most concern for employers are: heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, methamphetamine and the abuse of prescription drugs.
It can be tempting to think that drug testing is too expensive, particularly for smaller businesses. Business owners who see all their employees on a daily or weekly basis may think they would know if their employees weren’t sober, but this isn’t always the case. These startling statistics from the US Department of Labor prove that it isn’t always easy to tell who is and is not sober:
- Over six percent of people over the age of 12 have used drugs within the last 30 days.
- 73 percent of all drug users over the age of 18 are employed.
- Over 14 percent of employed Americans are heavy drinkers. Heavy drinking is defined as five or more drinks per day for at least five of the last 30 days.
- 30 percent of these heavy drinkers also used illegal drugs.
- The highest rates of illegal drug use were reported among construction workers, sales personnel, food preparation workers, wait staff, laborers and machine operators.
It is simply not possible to accurately determine whether all employees are sober and drug free. Random testing by a professional drug testing company is the best way to make sure your employees are adhering to company policy and the law.